Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Air conditioner remote control

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
@jcage

I think a bit more info on your goal(s) might help clarify a few things ...

You state that you want to be able to turn your HVAC unit on/off remotely and that it will be in the "previous state" (ie Heat/Cool) when you turn it back on using the remote ... The obvious question we have is, "Why turn it off in the first place?" ... Perhaps you travel and simply want to come home to a warm/cool home but NOT have it on the entire time you are gone? Perhaps you want to turn the heat on remotely when an impending cold snap threatens to freeze pipes ... etc, etc ...

Perhaps there is some other motivation, but I will assume it is to save power while you are away for now ...

From my perspective the easiest solution would be to connect an Arduino to a networked PC ... create a small application that can communicate via rs232 with the Arduino and then also check for new files in a specific directory ... when you want to change the state of the AC, you save a file to your networked PC via your phone, the program "sees" the new file, opens it, processes the command and then adds the command to a log file and deletes the new file. I am sure there are many more eloquent ways of achieving the communication, that is just the easiest way I can think of ...

As to "programming" the Arduino to learn your remote code ... that is really very easy,

simply order a few IR LEDs ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/1711829539...i1js+9xXW8Dw5e1kw44lbLu+5q|tkp:Bk9SR8K9r8SRYw )

and a few IR Sensor modules ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/3836412370...WL70k8etRFRG3qb2Ud6Nt/Jg==|tkp:BlBMUOrHncSRYw )

Plenty of info on how to connect them to an Arduino, plenty of info on sketches to capture & store IR codes ... For what you are doing, I would prolly simply write an Assembly program ... you don't need to know the protocol, you just need the "On/Off times" that correspond with your "On/Off" button ... It doesn't matter if the protocol is RC-5, RC-5X, JVC, Sony, NEC, etc or if the command is 10 bits or 100 bits, has special start/stop bits, etc, etc it just doesn't matter, if you have a list of the "On" times and "Off" times you can send the command very simply (though not terribly efficiently from a storage point of view, but even that doesn't matter because even the smallest Arduino has tons of storage for a single remote code no matter how inefficiently the data is stored.) But the Arduino sketches and software will likely handle all of that for you ...

The only real problem I see is knowing the state of the AC unit when you send the "On/Off" command ... If you forget which state it is in then sending the command will do the opposite of what you want! If you design it like I suggested using a PC connected to an Arduino, then you can create separate commands for "ON" and "Off" in the file you send and the PC can keep track of the AC State and only send the On/Off command when the state <> cmd.

Hrmmm, If you want to avoid Arduinos and PCs, you could use a Raspberry-Pi in place of both the Arduino and the PC! Then, Assuming your code writing is in C, you could simply program the Raspberry-Pi directly. It has i/o pins that you could use for both capturing your command and sending it.

Hope it helps!

Fish

mineymoe

Nov 14, 2023
@jcage possible to control your AC remotely. An easy way would be using an ESP32 or ESP8266 chip. You can program it to learn your remote's signals using an IR sensor, then connect it to wifi so you can control it from anywhere. Tuniot is a handy tool for coding it.

jobitjoseph1

Jul 30, 2021
The Ac remote will send multiple data in a single stream. So it would be much easier just to read the raw IR data, store and replay it.