Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Program 29GL256 chip

carlos515

Feb 6, 2024
Hi,
I am wanting to download and re-program a MX29GL256FLT2I-90Q+ , tsop56 chip. What programmer would I need? I have a ch341a for smaller bios chips.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I have a ch341a
That is no programmer at all. It is a USB-to-serial converter to be used with e.g. Arduino boards.

The MX29GL256 is a FLASH memory with a parallel interface. You will need a true FLASH programmer (example). Or put the memory in a real world circuit and have the MCU program the FLASH.

carlos515

Feb 6, 2024
Thanks for the information.
I de-soldered the chip to put in an adapter for programming. Would there be a programmer that I could build ? I wanted to use my Windows Computer and need an interface.

carlos515

Feb 6, 2024
I found this programmer. FlashcatUSB XPORT programmer. It seems to be an interface between my computer and the device. I looked at the examples you gave, but they are a little bit more than I wanted to spend.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
FlashcatUSB XPORT programmer.
As far as I can see this programmer will need an additional adapter to accept the FLASH chip in its TSOP case.
they are a little bit more than I wanted to spend.
I thought so, but a dedicated programmer will be comparatively expensive in any way.

Why do you need a separate programmer? Where do you plan to use the chip?
It is quite customary today to program chips in-system using a serial interface and teh MCU that is already in the system or using JTAG or using a small microcontroller to do the programming.

In this discussion you can find a method for using an Arduino to program a parallel FLASH chip. You may be able to modify the setup for your specific FLASH chip.

carlos515

Feb 6, 2024
Thank you,
I am trying to repair my dual wan router. The flash chip has been corrupted and I will order a new chip. I was hoping to update the programming on the new chip to a more recent firmware. I realize that I can probably buy a new dual wan router for the same cost as the repair of mine, but I like the challenge of repairing electronics.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I was hoping to update the programming on the new chip to a more recent firmware.
Where would you get the Image for the new FLASH chip? The firmware package you can download for your router is usually not suitable for direct programming into a FLASH. The existing firmware in the router will interpret the data from the downloaded firmware file and program the FLASH accordingly (and possibly set some configuration data within the MCU).

While it may be possible to extract the data from the firmware file and convert it to the format required to load into the FLASH, it is only worth the effort when you consider it an exercise in hacking.

carlos515

Feb 6, 2024
I found some binary firmware that I was going to try. Yes, I am basically hacking the firmware. The router is not usable in its current state, so I figure the effort is worth it. I also use the experience as a learning effort. The update firmware is usually 24Mb. The firmware I found is 700Mb.

carlos515

Feb 6, 2024
Just an update..... I ordered another flash chip. The 700mb files were for Ubuntu to program the board. I cancelled my Flashcat programmer and will re solder the new chip on the board. I have to repair my board as I lifted some pads. Hand soldering TSOP56 chips are interesting.
I also took the opportunity, read excuse, to order a new WE1010NA and a digital microscope.
Thank You, Harold Kapp for your help. I understand what you were explaining.