Maker Pro
Maker Pro

TPIC1356 datasheet or pinout info

Noraglik

Oct 10, 2023
I am a university student and I am tackling a project in which I need to control a stepper motor, for various reasons that I am not going to mention I cannot buy the integrated circuit necessary to control said motor so I decided to recycle an old integrated circuit from a disk reader of a laptop, the TPIC1356 manufactured by Texas Instruments, the problem is that the information on said circuit is not available anywhere, not even on the manufacturer's website. That said, I would greatly appreciate any contribution of information on said circuit or any circuit. similar one that can guide me to make the necessary connections to use this circuit in my project

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020

Attachments

• 1812959.pdf
    493.9 KB · Views: 4

Noraglik

Oct 10, 2023
Is this you!!
If not. It's a simple stepper motor driver... big whoop.

I can think of eight ways to drive your stepper motor that I am not going to mention. I suggest you cannibalize a newer old laptop!
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskElectronics/comments/gerg67
Actually, I managed to control the step by step with a CB5888CD, it is designed to control normal brush engines from the DVD console, but 2 of them could do the job, if it is not a great discomfort, I could tell me those 8 forms of control a stepper, I would very much appreciate your help

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
You got to know how they work first.
Tell me your application and we can avoid all of this! A photo of your stepper motor would be nice.
You say you're at University student I'm just guessing Nepal? If you are then I'll do it for you. But you must tell me all your resources you have there's no shame in not being able to buy a driver but I need to know what components you have at hand.

Last edited:

Noraglik

Oct 10, 2023
You got to know how they work first.
Tell me your application and we can avoid all of this! A photo of your stepper motor would be nice.
You say you're at University student I'm just guessing Nepal? If you are then I'll do it for you. But you must tell me all your resources you have there's no shame in not being able to buy a driver but I need to know what components you have at hand.

Here's a pic of the stepper actually I was able to make in work with two old ICs I foundIMG_20231010_210457.jpg

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Actually, I managed to control the step by step with a CB5888CD, it is designed to control normal brush engines from the DVD console, but 2 of them could do the job
We need to take a step back.
Which motor is this... the DVD console.
Because. Stepper motors do not have commutation carbon brushes.
A stepper motor may be a reluctance motor or a permanent magnet synchronous motor.
There's no way that motor came out of an old laptop!
What do you want that motor to do? Again your application please

Last edited:

Noraglik

Oct 10, 2023
We need to take a step back.
Which motor is this... the DVD console.
Because. Stepper motors do not have commutation carbon brushes.
A stepper motor may be a reluctance motor or a permanent magnet synchronous motor.
There's no way that motor came out of an old laptop!
That motor is from a desktop computer disk reader writer, I Googled it and says is a bipolar stepper

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
desktop computer
Desktop. laptop .I got you.
Identify the four wire bipolar stepper motor connection leads.
1696990324360.png

coils A and B on the diagram above are not connected, the resistance between leads A1 and B1, or between A1 and B2 will be infinite. The resistance between A1 and A2, or between B1 and B2 will be a definitely less than infinite (though more then zero), as they are part of the same winding
I'll dig up some schematics for because I don't know what your application is but you can make it spin.
I cannot find your CB5888CD
Datasheet! You say you're using two of them show me.

Last edited:

Noraglik

Oct 10, 2023
Desktop. laptop .I got you.
Identify the four wire bipolar stepper motor connection leads.
View attachment 61001

coils A and B on the diagram above are not connected, the resistance between leads A1 and B1, or between A1 and B2 will be infinite. The resistance between A1 and A2, or between B1 and B2 will be a definitely less than infinite (though more then zero), as they are part of the same winding
I'll dig up some schematics for because I don't know what your application is but you can make it spin.
I cannot find your CB5888CD
Datasheet! You say you're using two of them show me.
Sorry for the mistake is CD5888CB here you can see the two chips I'm using, I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3B and Python to control it. I attached the datasheet of the ICs so you can see it, it is in chinese so you have to traduce, theres some sites that you can do that, I don't have an english copy of the document because my native language is spanish

Attachments

• IMG_20231010_210427.jpg
    IMG_20231010_210427.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 3
  • CD5888CB.pdf
    321.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
How do you say."That was a joke." in Spanish?
The raspberry pie site talks about your problem.
Adios amigo! Yo getes dormido.

Last edited:

Noraglik

Oct 10, 2023
I was looking at the information you sent me and now I'm worried about protecting the stepper return current drivers, they still work fine and it doesn't seem like the stepper is overheating either, but I don't want to be overconfident, I'm working with a voltage of 5v, even at the maximum speed of the stepper when the return current must reach its highest peak so the drivers continue to work normally

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Very good?
That's what I want to hear!
I need to know the desired speed, torque, resolution, you are looking
For? To control a bipolar stepper motor, you need to provide two signals for each phase: one to control the current direction (direction signal) and one to control the current magnitude (step signal). And I need to know the power requirements for your stepper motor. :)
I have to get some sleep now.
Other nice people will help you as well I will see you tomorrow. good night!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
This is where dedicated step driver devices come into their own as they offer the motor current monitoring facility and give much better protection.

You can use Google translate to copy the lines of 'simple Chinese' into their translator and see the relevant pin descriptions/operation.

Noraglik

Oct 10, 2023
This is where dedicated step driver devices come into their own as they offer the motor current monitoring facility and give much better protection.

You can use Google translate to copy the lines of 'simple Chinese' into their translator and see the relevant pin descriptions/operation.
If you read my initial post you can see that a dedicated controller is not an option for me.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If you read my initial post you can see that a dedicated controller is not an option for me.
I did read your post - my response was simply a comment, not an instruction.

For most steppers the current will be limited by the coil resistance and devices as small as your stepper won't suffer. Do you have any technical spec on the stepper motor itself?

Last edited:

Noraglik

Oct 10, 2023
I did read your post - my response was simply a comment, not an instruction.

For most steppers the current will be limited by the coil resistance and devices as small as your stepper won't suffer. Do you have any technical spec on the stepper motor itself?
Motor type: 4-wire two-phase system
Drive voltage: 5V/300mA
Coil resistance: 10 Ω
Screw length: 56mm - 2.2in
Motor diameter: 15mm - 0.5in
Screw diameter: Ф 3mm - 0.1in
Screw pitch: 3mm - 0.1in
Step Angle: 18°